Do I have the flu?
The flu (influenza) is a contagious respiratory disease caused by a virus. It is highly contagious and can be spread from person to person by coughing, sneezing or touching surfaces that are contaminated. In the United States, the flu season lasts from October through May.
What are the signs and symptoms of flu?
- fever or chills
- cough or sore throat
- runny or stuffy nose
- body aches and headaches
- lack of energy, fatigue
How can I prevent the flu?
- Get the flu vaccine yearly if 6 months or older
- Wash your hands often with soap and warm water
- Clean and disinfect surfaces that may be contaminated with germs
- Limit contact with sick people and avoid close contact
- Cover your nose and mouth when you cough and sneeze